SELECT RECENT PRESS
June 7 – NY Times
– Just the Right Time for a ‘Nondenominational Leader’ in Music
June 12 – San Diego Union Tribune
– Vijay Iyer brings Ojai Music Festival to rousing, borders-blurring finish
– Music is Music
May 15 – Rolling Stone India
– American Pianist-Composer Vijay Iyer: ‘Critics are Really Bad at Listening’
Jan. 31 – New Yorker profile
– Time Is a Ghost, Vijay Iyer’s jazz vision
– From Wynton Marsalis to Vijay Iyer, the best jazz albums of 2016
– Ten Best Jazz Albums of 2016
– 20 Best Avant Albums of 2016
– Vijay Iyer: Beyond Objects, Beyond Scores
Vijay was named among the 2013 MacArthur Fellows, joining a roster of 24 “exceptionally creative individuals with a track record of achievement and the potential for even more significant contributions in the future.” Watch a video profile on Vijay from the MacArthur Foundation, and read a thoughtful retrospective by Howard Reich in the Chicago Tribune.
ARCHIVE OF SELECT PRESS
– Vijay was the subject of a feature in The Boston Globe, written by Siddhartha Mitter
– Vijay was profiled in the Sunday edition of The New York Times and featured in the Times’ weekly Popcast.
– “Exceptional…Iyer has constructed gripping sonic portraits that are at once provocative and accessible, intellectually substantive and sensuously attractive” – The Chicago Tribune
– Vijay was named a 2013 MacArthur Fellow, and became the Franklin D. and Florence Rosenblatt Professor of the Arts in Harvard University’s Department of Music in January 2014.
– Artist of the Year, Album of the Year, Group of the Year, Pianist of the Year, and Rising Star Composer in the 2012 DownBeat Critics’ Poll
– Pianist of the Year at the 2012 Jazz Journalist Awards.
– CHOC! (highest rating) – Jazz Magazine/Jazzman (France)
– “a terrific trio recording… ingenious… 4 1/2 STARS” – Downbeat magazine
– “a statement of compassion and wide-eyed wonder… this album is a gift” – BBC
– “…a stunning album…” – Paste Magazine
– “perhaps his best record yet” – Minneapolis Star Tribune
– “a masterful collection that balances high-minded conceptualism with heartfelt conviction.” – All About Jazz
– “The Vijay Iyer Trio has the potential to alter the scope, ambition and language of jazz piano forever.” –Jazzwise (UK)
– “Vijay Iyer, an American treasure” – Minnesota Public Radio
– A book of Vijay’s sheet music is now available from Mel Bay Publications.
– Vijay has been appointed director of the Banff International Workshop in Jazz and Creative Music at the Banff Centre in Alberta, Canada